Skip to main content Skip to footer

This section of the website is devoted to live Q&A sessions with our own advisers or external employers. We will promote the Live Q&A’s in advance and you can also access session archives below.

Campus Jobs FAQ

Below is a list of frequently asked questions that we receive at Campus Jobs. If your query is not answered below, please e-mail Campus Jobs via the button below with your query and a member of the team will respond within 3 working days.Email Campus Jobs

What is a Right to Work check?

A right to work check is a legal requirement that all employers carry out on all employees to ensure they can work in the UK.

Only certain ID can be accepted for a Right to Work check and original ID must be seen.

Since 1st July 2021, new rules apply for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and we are no longer able to accept passports or national identity cards as evidence for a Right to Work check.

Since 6th April 2022, new rules apply resulting in a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) no longer being accepted as valid ID for a Right to Work

Working restrictions for visa students- Term time vs Vacation

  • Term time for Undergraduate students is generally September until the middle of June and the end of term each academic year is the Friday of the last week of the scheduled examination period. Vacation (Holiday) dates can be found on the University website.
  • Some courses are identified as Long Courses such as Nursing. These courses have a different term end date. Please contact the Student Support Centre at or your school to confirm your term dates.
  • If your Undergraduate course started at a different time of year please contact the Student Support Centre at or your school to confirm your term dates.
  • Term time for Masters students is all year around with the exception of the scheduled Christmas and Easter vacations (which can be found on the University website). There is no scheduled vacation for Masters students during the summer months and therefore working restrictions will apply during this time.
  • Term time for Post Graduate students is all year round, their end of term date is the date they submit their last piece of work (PhD students fall into this category, needs to be awarded not just finished to be able to work more hours)
  • Postgraduate Research (PGR) students have a total of 35 days of leave across the year. Of these 35 days, 14 are concessionary days set by the University and are based on University closure days. PGR students can request to have the remaining 21 days at any point across the year and, if approved and recorded by the School, these periods are then classed as vacation time.

If you have any queries regarding your visa and or working restrictions, please e-mail

Information on the kind of work you can do

How do I apply for a National Insurance number (NINo)?

Once a UK citizen reaches 16, they will be sent confirmation of their NINo that is automatically set up from HM Revenue & Customs.

For non UK citizens, should you need to apply for a National Insurance Number, please refer to guidance in the link below:

Apply for a National Insurance number – GOV.UK (

Where can I find my National Insurance number (NINo)?

If you have a NINo and need a reminder of it, this can be sourced from one of the following:

  • Wage Slip
  • P45
  • P60
  • National Insurance Card
  • An official letter or document from a government agency e.g. HM Revenue and Customs, Department for Work and Pensions, or the Social Security Agency in Northern Ireland) or previous employer.

If you need evidence of your NINo for a Right to Work check, excluding a wage slip, any of the above originals will be acceptable.

If you are unable to source evidence of your National Insurance number, guidance on how you can resolve this can be found by accessing the link below.

National Insurance numbers – GOV.UK (

What is MyView?

Once students are registered and cleared to work they are set up on the payroll system and MyView, the online self-serve system is where students submit pay claims, access payslips and update their personal information. Access MyView

I have submitted a pay claim on MyView and have not been paid.

If you have not been paid within 3 weeks of submitting a pay claim, please e-mail the Payroll Services via the button below  for a member of the Payroll Services team to advise. Email Payroll Services

Although I am registered with Campus Jobs, I have not been informed of any work assignments, how do I find out about these?

Students are recruited to pools of student workers, such as School Ambassadors, Catering, Library etc., each pool has a Hiring Manager and it is the responsibility of each Hiring Manager to contact students in their pool with offers of work assignments.

If you do not know who your Hiring Manager is, please e-mail us via the button below and a member of the team will be more than happy to confirm who this is. Email Campus Jobs

What is the full Campus Jobs process?

See a breakdown of our full process on our Campus Jobs flowchart. Student Recruitment Flowchart

What is the payroll process?

See a breakdown of the full pay claim process on our flowchart via the button. Student Pay Claim Flowchart

Where can I read more?

Download our Students’ Guide to read more. Download our Students' Guide

I have a complaint, what should I do?

Where a student has a concern relating to Campus Jobs, the member of staff they have carried out a work assignment for, or vice versa, Campus Jobs should be notified as soon as possible.  A member of the team will meet with all parties concerned for an informal information gathering meeting.  Where concerns remain following the meeting, students should follow the University Student Complaints Procedure. Student Complaints Procedure

Who should I contact if my pay is incorrect?

If you believe your pay is incorrect, please contact the Payroll Services Team via email at quoting the five digit reference number from your claim form.Email Payroll

What is the difference between a hiring and approving manager?

The hiring manager is the name given to any member of staff at the university who recruits student workers. The approving manager is the person who approves student worker pay claims.