Skip to main content

Membership Login

Further Study Research

007 Employer Further Study Research

Employer Research | Further Study Research

Is further study for you?

Deciding to move onto further study can allow you to enhance your qualification with specialist skills, increase your knowledge of a subject you are passionate about, expand your network and qualifications. Further study may not be for you if your only motivation is to delay entering the workforce.

Which type of course is right for you?

Masters Course

You can earn a Masters degree in one of two ways:


This is the highest level of study you can earn. It will usually take three years to complete, and will earn you the title of ‘Doctor’. Similar to a Masters by Research, you will work independently on a thesis with the suport of a supervisor.

Conversion Courses

These courses allow you to change vocation on a ‘fast track’ basis. These courses are necessary to change into roles that require specialist skills such as IT, Law or Medicine.


These are specific conversion courses that will help you start a career in teaching. Read more in our teacher training guide.

Professional Courses

Some careers require specialist qualifications. Many careers that don’t require these qualifications will often still look favourably on candidates that have them. Many professional associations that are associated with your industry of interest will offer courses for these qualifications.

Choosing a provider

The University of Lincoln offers many opportunities to continue your studies. You may even be eligible for an alumni scholarship.

It is important, however, to carry out research. Different providers carry different reputations - many of which vary depending on which course you are hoping to undertake - and some may have different specialties.

Online research

Search engines are of course helpful when you wish to look for who provides a course of your interest. Be sure to look into news-specific searches to see what you can find out about others who have completed the course you are interested in at various universities. Prospects and Target Postgrad also have resources to help you investigate higher education providers offering your courses:

You may also wish to search for professional associations in your field of interest and look into what courses they offer to their members.

On-site research

Many education providers - universities especially - will hold open days, some specifically for those seeking postgraduate/further education. This is a good time to meet faculty members and ask specific questions about the course - as well as see if the location is one you will enjoy studying in.

International options

For some special interests, it may be essential for you to study abroad as there may not be an appropriate course for you in the UK. In many other cases, studying abroad can widen your global career prospects and give you a greater understanding of the world on an international level. There are many programs to help you study overseas. Look at the following places for more information:

‘My Careers’ tab on Blackboard - ‘Global Careers’ button

Funding your study

There are several options you can consider to fund your study - though availability will depend on the kind of course you wish to undertake, and in many cases on your personal circumstances.


These are provided in a similar manner to undergraduate loans, however they are only available to some courses. Contact providers to find out if the course you are interested in has loans available.

Scholarships and bursaries

These are usually offered by universities, charities or government bodies. These kinds of funding are usually granted on the basis of merit or special circumstances (eg. regional students, alumni, etc).


Similar to scholarships and bursaries, grants are awarded to those undertaking research in particular fields. You will need to make a detailed application for these.


Your employer may fund your study to improve your skills for their business. You can ask them what their options for professional development are.

Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)

This will not cover tuition, instead it will assist with course-related expenses for students who meet government-defined definitions of disability.

Part-time study

If you are unable to self-fund full-time study, consider finding a part-time version of your course that you can complete alongside full-time employment.

You can read more about funding options on Prospects.

Download this resource as a PDF

Employer Research | Further Study Research


Create Your CV Create your CV
Step Two Workbook
Networking Networking