The Lincoln Award is an employability framework designed to support, enhance and recognise extra-curricular activity for students. It offers you training courses, qualifications and workshops to develop skills and future employment prospects. It also requires you to complete a volunteer element.
By undertaking the Lincolnshire Police Lincoln Award, you will commit to volunteer at least 100 hours a year. This is more than double the usual number of hours. In return the award offers you:
- police enquiry office training
- a programme of talks by various police specialists
- the opportunity to visit a police station
- interaction with local police officers and PCSOs
- interview experience with our staff
The scheme offers two pathways to achieving the award by volunteering in a drop-in centre or as a Volunteer PCSO (VPCSO).
A drop-in centre, run by students, provides a police station enquiry office facility on campus where students and staff can:
- report a crime
- report noise and anti-social behaviour
- hand in found property
- get advice on how best to ensure the safety of possessions
By volunteering in the drop-in centre, you will be a Lincolnshire Police Support Volunteer and will be required to commit 100 hours over one academic year.
A cohort of 11 students managed the drop-in centre in the first year of the scheme and actively promoted the service to fellow students. Some of their activities and achievements included:
- improving accessibility by setting up in different locations on campus
- featured on the Lincoln School of Journalism news programme
- lecture shout-outs
- even donning the Bobby Bear outfit to get the message out to the wider student population
How to apply
You have the opportunity to join the Lincolnshire Police Lincoln Award each semester for the drop-in centre role and in Semester 2 for the VPCSO role.
Expressions of interest will be via the Student Union volunteer services team.
- Expressions of Interest by October 2nd 2017
- Compulsory Information Event on October 5th 2017, 5:30pm – MB0302
Competition for limited places is strong.
Note: These opportunities are open only to University of Lincoln students as and when advertised by the Students Union.