Job title: Data Scientist (KTP Associate)
Job reference: REQ01790
Application closing date: 02/10/2018
Salary: £34,000 - £38,000 per annum
Employment type: Fixed-Term, Full-Time
Job category/type: Research
Job description: KTP
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) are a unique UK-wide activity that help businesses to improve their competitiveness and productivity by making better use of the knowledge, technology and skills within universities, colleges and research organisations. Further information is available at: www.ktponline.org.uk
The University of Essex in partnership with Ocado Technology offers an exciting opportunity to a graduate to develop a demand forecasting model for Ocado's routing system, to better estimate the cost of delivering a customer's order by incorporating future demand, and develop a dynamic slot pricing policy to sway customers to delivery slots which are more efficient for deliveries. This post is fixed term for 24 months and is based at Ocado Technology's offices in Hatfield.
DUTIES OF THE POST
As a Data Scientist (KTP Associate) you will work closely with the Data Science and Routing teams at Ocado, as well as your Academic Supervisor at Essex to deliver the project described above. You will be expected to perform appropriate analyses, write up results for both technical and business audiences, design and develop prototype solutions and finally work with Ocado's software developers to ensure that the research leads to a well written application deployed in production.
Specific duties will include:
Technical and Research Duties:
- Complete and review technical needs audit and market report.
- Simulate, test, analyse and collate results for reports, presentations and publications.
- Draft research papers for conferences and publication, collaboratively with the academic team.
Project Management Duties:
- Organise regular technical project reviews with the academic team and Ocado Technology.
- Work collaborative with the Data Science team at Ocado Technology and academics and researchers at the university.
- Deal with project issues which may affect commercial and research objectives and deadlines.
- Provide regular updates on progress to the project team via oral and written reports and presentations.
- Manage and update the project risk log.
- Manage project budgets, specifically travel, consumables and personal development budgets.
- Embed knowledge within the company, training staff and create training manuals.
The postholder must have:
- MSc in Operational Research, Mathematics, Computer Science or a related discipline.
- Good theoretical and applied knowledge in optimization, including linear programming, combinatorial optimization, dynamic programming and stochastic process.
- Good knowledge of mathematical methods for data science, including foundational topics such as calculus, linear algebra and statistics.
- Good knowledge of programming platforms and languages (e.g. Java/Python/C++).
As a KTP Associate, the post will offer the following benefits:
- A personal development budget of GBP 4,000 (exclusive of salary).
- Management training and mentoring by an Innovate UK KT Adviser.
- An interesting and challenging role, with exposure to a variety of stakeholders.
- Full access to university resources to complete the project.
- Academic and Company project supervision, with project support by a dedicated, sector leading KTP Office.
Buildings One & Two
At the University of Essex internationalism is central to who we are and what we do. We are committed to being a cosmopolitan, internationally-oriented university that is welcoming to staff and students from all countries and a university where you can find the world in one place.
Please see the further detail link below for a full job description and person specification which outlines the full duties, skills, qualifications and experience needed for this role plus more information relating to the post. We recommend you read this information carefully before making an application. Applications should be made on-line, but if you would like advice or help in making an application, or need information in a different format, please telephone the Resourcing Team (01206 876559).
*Further detail: Data Scientist (KTP Associate) jobpack